Thursday, April 28, 2005

Movies to Look Forward To, Part Vier

The Cave: A bunch of people I don't really know in this one, which could be good or bad, depending on the direction. A group of cave explorers go into the world's largest cave system and are attacked by undescribed monsters. Has a lot in common with Jeff Long's book The Descent, but supposedly that is being made into a separate movie. August 26th



Crash: A huge and recognizable cast, so obviously this is one that the PTB are interested in. I am curious about how all of these egos will work together and whether what results is crap (which sometimes happens in these ensemble movies) or good, which I would expect from the talented actors involved. May 6th



The Legend of Zorro: Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones both return for this sequel to The Mask of Zorro. It is interesting to see this sequel being done after a few years. Same director as well. October 28th



Must Love Dogs: Based on Claire Cook's book, which I heard good things about, though I haven't read because I have a hard time finding chick lit that I like, so I kind of gave up. But, I'll see the movie. John Cusack (who I think is cute and a good actor) and Diane Lane. July 29th



Night Watch: A subtitled Russian movie which sounds interesting and will be released in the US. From Yahoo movies: This is the first part of a three-film series, from a trilogy of novels: 'Night Watch,' 'Day Watch' and 'Dawn Watch.' (Which reminds me of Night of the Living Dead, Day of the Dead, and Dawn of the Dead). Also from Yahoo movies: Set in contemporary Moscow, NIGHT WATCH revolves around the conflict and balance maintained between the forces of light and darkness -- the result of a medieval truce between the opposing sides. As night falls, the dark forces battle the super-human "Others" of the Night Watch, whose mission is to patrol and protect. But there is constant fear that an ancient prophecy will come true: that a powerful "Other" will rise up, be tempted by one of the sides, and tip the balance plunging the world into a renewed war between the dark and light, the results of which would be catastrophic. Limited release July 29th



A Scanner Darkly: Lots of people dislike Keanu Reeves, and I have to admit he's not the best actor, but he picks interesting movies. Based on a Phillip K. Dick novel, which should me lots of cool futuristic stuff and a nice thought-provoking idea at the heart of the story. Still a bit away, March 2006



Sky High: Set in a world where the children of superheroes all go to one high school, poor Will is the son of the world's greatest superheroes (Kurt Russell and Kelly Preston) but has no superpowers of his own. I think these post-superhero stories are interesting (The Incredibles and the book Those Who Walk in Darkness by John Ridley) so I am looking forward to this one. July 29th


Posted by Hello

No comments: