Sunday, May 08, 2005

Top 20 Animated Movies

My husband and I saw Robots at the theatre a couple of weeks ago -- I thought it was great, Robin Williams was hilarious as always, and it's interesting that most animated movies attribute human characteristics to just about all creatures and things, whether animal or robot or whatever. Anyway, after watching it at the theatre, and then watching The Incredibles at home, I was thinking about animated movies in general, and how many of them, though on the surface are for children, are really for adults. When you're a child, it's all about the story and the animals and the fun, but when you're an adult you notice the little things like the social commentary and the relationships between characters, the little jokes and the clever phrases.

So my husband and I were talking about the best animated movies. I was going to do a top 10 list, but it's too hard to narrow it down to ten. So here are my favorite 20 animated movies. (I didn't include any anime because I will probably do a separate list of anime sometime.) There are lots I wanted to include, but I had to limit it at some point. Toy Story is probably the biggest missing movie, and though I enjoyed it, it isn't one of my favorites. My husband probably wouldn't agree with the final list, and certainly not the order, but this is my blog, so my list. And #1 shouldn't surprise anyone.

1. The Last Unicorn


2. Beauty and the Beast


3. The Nightmare Before Christmas


4. The Incredibles


5. Shrek


6. The Swan Princess


7. All Dogs Go to Heaven


8. The Jungle Book


9. An American Tail


10. The Emperor's New Groove


11. The Fox and the Hound


12. Monsters, Inc.


13. Anastasia


14. Charlotte's Web


15. Ferngully: The Last Rainforest


16. The Great Mouse Detective


17. The Secret of NIMH


18. Sleeping Beauty


19. Fantasia


20. Hercules

Posted by Hello

No comments: