Saturday, August 12, 2006

Trilogies

I really like the trend that publishing houses are going to where they release an author's series with the early books close together, a month or two apart each. I wouldn't like it if the author has just rushed to get the books out, but when it is a new author, or an author who clearly knows her pace and is able to produce frequently and in quantity, then it is great.

These books come out closely enough to one another that it is easier to keep up with the stories. Sometimes when books come out a year or so apart, especially dense fantasy and urban fantasy/paranormal books, I feel like I have to reread all of the previous books just to remember what's going on. But when a new series begins with the books released together (like Naomi Novik's Temeraire series) then it is easy to keep up and I can read the next book while I am still interested in it.

These are three upcoming trilogies that have caught my eye.

The Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts
Morrigan's Cross, Dance of the Gods and Valley of Silence
August 29, October 3, and October 31, 2006
I don't read every Nora Roberts book because she has a very distinctive style that would permeate alot of my reading if I read every book, and I like variety too much. I think she's a great writer though, and so when I see something of hers that has a premise I find interesting, I will usually pick that up. This one alternates between 12th-century Ireland and modern New York and involves vampires, witches, and Irish mythology -- sounds great.


The Candace Steel Vampire Killer Series by Cameron Dean
Passionate Thirst, Luscious Craving and Eternal Hunger
October 31, November 28, and December 26, 2006
These books definitely have an Anita Blake feel (the series name, the titles, the covers) but they still look interesting. I do hope they aren't too much of a clone of the AB series, but I will definitely give the first one a try, if only in the hope that they will deliver what the AB series doesn't anymore. The covers are not bad, but they are a little on the lurid side, especially that second, red and yellow one, which is just awful.


Sara MacKenzie's Ghost Trilogy
Return of the Highlander, Secrets of the Highwayman and Passions of the Ghost
July 25, October 1, and December 1, 2006
These are time travel stories set in Scotland, so they could be terrible, but then they could be good as well. This is a new author (as far as I can tell) so I think I'll give them a chance. I'm not a fan of Outlander (more because I couldn't get into it than any real dislike) so I won't be comparing it to that, but I do hope these at least try to be somewhat accurate and don't go into the whole "Ooh, a big tough Highlander man is whisking me away, I will now swoon" type of story. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Oh, and the covers of the 1st and 3rd are terrible, but the second one looks okay (maybe because that guy has the most clothes on of the group), but really, what was the art department at Avon thinking when they came up with these?

Posted by Picasa

No comments: