Thursday, January 24, 2008

Upcoming -- A Lady's Secret by Jo Beverley

A Lady's Secret by Jo Beverley
Signet, 1 April 2008


Description
: When Robin Fitzvitry, the fun-loving Earl of Huntersdown, encounters a cursing nun in a French inn, he can't resist the mystery. He offers to help Sister Immaculata reach England, expecting amusement on the tedious journey home from Versailles. Petre d'Avernio is not exactly a nun, though she has spent years in an Italian convent with her mother, whose death has left her in danger. She must find the only person who might protect her-her true father, an English lord who does not know she exists. The gorgeous earl Robin Fitzvitry will be a dangerous ally, but she's glimpsed her pursuers and must race to the coast. She will resist him, use him, and eventually escape him with her virtue and secrets intact-she hopes.

Read an excerpt here

My thoughts on the cover
: I have not read every book that Jo Beverley has written, but I have read a lot of them. She is an author who I think consistently produces high-quality and enjoyable books. She is also a nice person online, and though that doesn't always influence my book buying, it's a lot easier to give my money to someone who is friendly and informative in her interactions with readers. I also have to say that I love this cover. I think it is sexy but classy. I am far from an expert, but I like that the clothing at least has the feel of something historically accurate. I'm not a stickler, but I do get tired of modern dresses and obviously dyed-looking hair on the cover of books that are supposed to be set in the Georgian or Victorian eras. And no men with half-open shirts on the cover either. I like the lace and ruffles on his shirt. It's realistic. I do find the cutting-off of the faces a little odd, but I supposed it's better than cutting them off at the neck. I know that the publisher is trying to go for the everywoman feel, where the reader can imagine themself as the heroine. I am not that kind of reader, but I understand the desire somewhat. It really isn't much different than walking out of a zombie movie and having the "what I would do" talk, which I've had more than once. And a side benefit of the headless woman trend -- it's hard to be inaccurate to the actual book contents that way.

No comments: