Sunday, March 13, 2005

I'm Back!

Between work (full-time) and college (also full-time) I have been incredibly busy. Spring Break is this week, which means I just got finished with all my midterm work. A major essay for one class, and two major tests. Which means that things I like such as reading and video games and my blog go by the wayside. Anyway, I should be back on track now.

Oh, I did do one fun thing. A friend and I took a road trip to Memphis to see the Quilts of Gee's Bend which are being exhibited at the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art. My friend is a Fine Art major and is graduating this May. She heard about the quilts from her advisory last year and has been dying to see them. When she found out they would be in Memphis (not to far from us in Kansas City), she knew she had to see them. But, it's a longer drive than she's ever done alone, so she asked me to go. And it was a fun break from work and school.

The exhibit itself was wonderful. Very beautiful and inspiring. It is amazing to see how these woman took the necessities of life (like having quilts for their family because they couldn't afford heating) and made something artistic and beautiful out of it. There was a quilt I particularly loved because the plaque stated that the woman had made the quilt out of her husband's clothes after he died because she wanted to sleep wrapped in his clothes. A very bittersweet story.

No comments: